Two grand dames, one young editor, and every feelpinion on the death of Flappy Bird ever published (warning: there are A LOT of them).
Happy Friday, everyone!
Refinery29: The New Face Of Marc Jacobs Beauty Is Totally Unexpected
The Design Files: The Saturday Paper - Five Questions with Erik Jensen
Dazed Digital: Vivienne Westwood Takeover
Flappy Bird Think Pieces: Hey guys, maybe we're overthinking this game a little.
Wired: Today's Apps Are Turning Us Into Sociopaths
Entrepreneurs, evolution and exquisite style. Plus meet the ex-Yahoo engineer who was turned down for a job at Facebook, and went on to sell WhatsApp to the social media platform for NINETEEN BILLION DOLLARS! This is what we've been reading this week.
Oyster: 'White Awake' Shot by Natalie Cottee
TechCrunch: How Thing's Change
Longreads: Swiping Right in the 1700s: The Evolution of Personal Ads
Inc.: 30 Under 30 2013: Nasty Gal, Sophia Amoruso
Groove (Blog): From "aha" to "oh shit", we're sharing everything on our journey to $100k in monthly revenue.
There's much food for thought in this week's Friday 5, with a hilarious op-ed by Conan O'Brien on why he declined the top post at Microsoft (which he was never actually offered), the launch of a beautiful friendship between Getty and Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In foundation, and much more.
1. The Business of Fashion: Colin's Column | Tracing Veruschka
2. LinkedIn: Why I, Conan O'Brien, Turned Down The Microsoft CEO Job
3. The Verge: Instagram teaching ad-makers how to be less square
4. New York Times: LeanIn.org and Getty Aim to Change Women's Portrayal in Stock Photos
5. The New Yorker: TWILIGHT OF THE BRANDS
This week's links are heavy on the weird but with decent amounts of wonderful and WOAH (hello, Roberto Bolle!) as well. Happy Friday!
1. Vogue Japan: Roberto Bolle by Giampaolo Sgura
2. Fast Company: How to Write a Press Release that Doesn't Completely Suck
3. Pedestrian: A Melbourne Woman is Selling Giant Ryan Gosling, One Direction Body Pillows on Etsy
4. Gizmodo: Teenager 3D-Prints Prosthetic Hand for Adorable Child in Need
5. Demilked: Annoying City Potholes Turned into Imaginative Scenes