If you’re like us, you’re being bombarded with millennial-era content right now – and kinda loving it. This nostalgia has got us thinking about the evolution of public relations (PR).
Remember the 90s? Dial-up internet, mobile phones that were anything but mobile and PR that lived for that glorious brand mention in the broadsheet. But as they say, time flies and so does PR.
A moment for the OG PR
Once upon a PR time, the game was all about the art of patience and perfection. Crafting the perfect press release, maintaining a Rolodex of media connections and perhaps clinching a spot on morning radio or the evening news. Those were the wins that had public relations professionals doing a little victory dance (behind closed doors, of course).
It was a simpler era – one where news travelled not in milliseconds but in hours or days. Brands built narratives slowly, methodically. It was charming in its own way, but undeniably limited.
Rise of the digital maven
As we approached the 2000s, the PR world began to shimmer with digital potential. No longer was it about simply sending out information and hoping for the best. The advent of digital channels – think websites, email marketing and the early days of social media – gave PR a direct line to audiences.
By the numbers? According to Cision’s State of the Media Report in 2021, a significant 90% of journalists are now scouting digital sources (like Flaunter!) when diving into stories. So, if you’re not lighting up the digital scene, you might be missing out on a world of exposure.
Today’s digital public relations is about more than just being present online. It entails:
- Engaging storytelling: It’s not about mere content; it’s about narrative. Brands today are curating stories that aren’t just heard but felt, creating emotional ties with their audiences.
- Instant gratification: In an age of immediacy, PR responses are real-time. Launch a product? Get instant feedback. Host a virtual event? View live reactions. It’s a world where brands and their audiences are in an active, ongoing conversation.
- Influencer collaborations: Digital PR today heavily leans on influencers – the new-age celebrities. They’re not just promoters; they act as the bridge connecting brands with niche communities.
- Multimedia content: Words are powerful, but so are visuals. Infographics, videos, podcasts – the content spectrum has expanded, offering diverse ways to engage the audience.
- Data-driven strategies: With tools tracking every click, like, share, and comment, public relations strategies today are backed by data, ensuring more targeted and effective campaigns.
And as for Flaunter’s role in this digital renaissance? Well, brands on our platform see 300% increase in editorial coverage.
Navigating the new PR terrain
The audience today is a discerning lot. They’re not just passive consumers; they’re critics, contributors and creators. The modern PR strategy understands this shift and leverages it. It’s no longer enough to merely talk to your audience; you need to talk with them. Enter user-generated content, influencer collaborations and real-time brand interactions.
What does this mean for brands and, by extension, PR agencies and professionals? It’s time to:
- Understand your digital audience: Dive deep into analytics, understand behaviour patterns and customise content accordingly. Everyone appreciates a personal touch.
- Engage, don’t just broadcast: Encourage conversations, feedback loops and active engagement. Let’s not just communicate; let’s connect.
- Stay updated and stay relevant: The digital realm evolves in the blink of an eye. Brands need to be agile, aware and always a step ahead.
Staying true while staying new
Even as PR adapts and evolves, its core remains unchanged: nurturing and amplifying a brand’s image. The tools have been revamped, the methods have taken a digital twist, but the soul? It’s timeless.
It’s easy to be swayed by the digital whirlwind, to get caught up in the trends and forget the foundations. The most successful brands? They manage to strike that delicate balance. They embrace the digital while honouring the traditional. They speak the language of today while remembering the lessons of yesterday.
PR, at its core, will always be about weaving stories, nurturing connections and generating that elusive yet rewarding ‘buzz’. So, hats off to this vibrant era of PR – a perfect blend of the past and the present.
Let’s flaunt it, shall we?
Bringing brands into the media spotlight is what we’re passionate about at Flaunter. We understand the inestimable value that media features offer to brands, especially in industries like fashion, beauty, home, wellness and more. Connecting brands with the right media outlets is an art, and when done right, it’s a win-win for everyone.
So, to all the brands out there looking to make a mark: Get out there, share your story and watch as the world sits up and takes notice. And remember, at Flaunter, we’re always here to help you shine the brightest!
INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW FLAUNTER COULD HELP YOUR TEAM REACH BIGGER AUDIENCES? CONTACT US FOR A FREE TRIAL.